This Lasagna with Spinach is both filling and satisfying. Not only does it have sausage, ground beef and three types of cheese; it also has all those veggies stuffed in. With all of the other goodness, we are sure picky eaters won’t mind.
- 2/3 package(s) (16-ounce, about 12 noodles) lasagna noodles
- l/2 lb bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 medium bunches spinach, about 1 1/2 pounds
- olive or salad oil
- 1 package shredded provolone cheese or Italian blend cheese
- 1 container(s) (32-ounce) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (26 oz.) prepared pasta sauce with chunky vegetables
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) white pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) parsley, chopped
Prepare lasagna noodles as label directs using 2 teaspoons salt in water; drain.
Meanwhile, finely chop onion and garlic. Cook and drain ground beef and sausage. Remove tough stems from spinach. Rinse spinach well to remove any sand. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons hot olive or salad oil, cook onion & garlic until tender but not browned; add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook over high heat until spinach wilts; set aside.
In medium bowl, mix ricotta, Parmesan, nutmeg, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
Prepare sauce: In 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, in 2 tablespoons hot olive or salad oil, cook flour 1 minute. Gradually stir in pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, white pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Remove saucepan from heat.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In 13″ by 9″ glass baking dish, arrange one-third of lasagna noodles, overlapping to fit. Spread half of ricotta mixture over noodles. Spread layer of mixed ground beef and sausage.
Drain off liquid from spinach if any; spoon half of the spinach over ricotta mixture; then top with one-third of the sauce. Repeat layering adding shredded provolone. Top with remaining noodles, then remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
Bake lasagna, covered, 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove lasagna from oven; let stand 10 minutes for easier serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Delish.com